Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Out With A Roar

Several weeks ago, my friend Haley turned the big 2-9. Instead of celebrating the final birthday of her 20’s with a “bang,” she decided to celebrate with a “roar.” And so, her 29th fete was themed as “The Roaring Twenties,” costumes NOT optional. Excited by the prospect of costuming myself in the classic elegance of the swinging decade, I proactively ordered a “Gold Gatsby Girl” ensemble from an online costume store a week before the big party. However, I was horrified when a horrendous yellow-lace, shapeless dress showed up in its place, just the day before the gathering. The Friday afternoon of the party found me frantically running to Hobby Lobby, Target and Off Broadway Shoes to try and throw together an appropriate flapper look. Luckily, I was able to find everything I needed (amazing what my closet has hiding in the back), and while I was sewing my headband together literally minutes before I left, I think my ending getup turned out pretty cute. And the soiree? So much fun!! Hillary and Chris were (as usual) magnificent hosts, and the theme did not disappoint.  The girls (and guys) looked appropriately swingin’, the cocktails were flowing, and a dance party broke out before too long. What a fabulously Fitzgerald evening!

***************************
 
{The birthday girl, Haley (in a fabulously feathered Sue Wong dress) and Crystal. I adored the handmade paper "Happy Birthday" sign strung up behind them!}

  
{Jess, Crystal and me in our fab flapper-wear}
  
{Haley, me, Crystal and Hillary with our best "surprised Flapper" look!}
 

No comments:

Post a Comment