Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Bootie-licious

Shoes have always been a weakness for me. Growing up, I developed a passion for buying new shoes at any chance I could get. My closet at home was overflowing with footwear, organized by color and style, of course. My dad fondly (I like to think) referred to me as Imelda Marcos, the Pilipino woman known for, among other things, owning over 1,060 pairs of shoes.  Now, my collection wasn’t quite comparable to hers. At first (I’m thinking middle school here), my closet was full of Doc Martens (clunksters!), assorted Nikes and bright pairs of Old Navy flip flops (why own only one color when you can own 15?). In high school, I added platform foam sandals (really?), clunky-heeled boots and chunky-heeled oxfords to the mix. By the time my college years rolled around, the styles had materialized into pumps and skinny stiletto-heeled boots (chunky heels were sooo out!). I managed to find several shoe stores in the Manhattan, KS mall that offered brightly colored pointy-toed pumps (the ‘80’s were making their way back around, and I didn’t even know it…or care) that I would rock with my Gap and Hollister jeans (sigh) at the local bars, or pair with trousers or dresses for chapter on Monday nights. My collection included a pair of pointy white pumps with small metal grommets around the toe (my mom was appalled when I wore those to church for Easter Sunday) and multiple candy-colored patent pairs of stilettos. I had a pair of powder pink heels that I was in love with. I wore those babies out…literally. (The soles came off the sides of the shoe. I’m thinking the cheap pricetag may have had something to do with the construction. Remember, I was on the college budget—most of my cash went toward “textbooks”…AKA cocktails at Porter’s and Kites.)

Yep, I have always had a flair for footwear. Now that I’m standing on my feet all day, one would think that I would now favor flats and perhaps even sensible clog-like things with orthopedic arches. How wrong you would be! I still rock the heels and wedges to school as often as I can, and one of my latest purchases (in addition to those Tory wedges that I did end up buying!) has been a reincarnated pair of booties that seem eerily familiar, yet updated. I was all over the heeled oxford trend back in middle and high school, and I’m completely into the latest version of men’s wear-inspired footwear. I found these grey, suede lace-up booties at (of all places) Old Navy (no flip flops this time). I’ve been itching to jump on board the bootie train since last winter, and I’m thinking these completely fit the bill. Plus, bonus—they were an affordable $34.50. I’m thinking I’ll pair them with cuffed boyfriend jeans and a blazer, or maybe with a belted dress and cardy. I heart fall footwear!

*Update: I wore these darling lace-ups below with cuffed dark jeans, a white tank and a navy cardigan with accentuated shoulders to school last Friday. While the booties weren’t the most comfortable, I did get many compliments on my look!
***************************
{Old Navy Women’s Sueded Oxford Ankle Boots}

No comments:

Post a Comment