Friday, July 29, 2011

Hot Country Nights

Country music has totally been my go-to listening choice in the summertime especially. I have always been fond of twangy tunes (Trisha Yearwood’s “She’s In Love With The Boy” started it all back in the early 1990’s), but the warmer weather and longer days always seem to enhance the good ol’ melodies from George and Keith (Strait and Urban, that is). When Q104 announced their “Hot Country Nights” concert series was returning yet again this summer, I dusted off my cowboy boots and geared up for some sing-along-worthy tunes, cold beer, and warm Thursday nights. Best of all? The concerts are free, down at the main stage at Power and Light (cold brewskis available for separate purchase, of course). And I haven’t been disappointed yet.
 
While I longed for Eric Church to make a return appearance (I missed him last summer but managed to see him on a separate occasion), his notoriety has allowed him to instead headline a concert with patrons who willingly pay to get in. However, the line-up so far has provided entertaining and memorable nights: Clay Walker, Steel Magnolia, Chris Young, and The Band Perry were all stellar performances. The Band Perry definitely brought in the most fans, and since crowds of 12,500 people packed in a not-quite-big-enough space in 97 degree weather tend to give me anxiety, I have to say it wasn’t my fav of the shows so far. I saw at least one poor girl pass out from the heat and I’d guess no one in attendance had truly worn enough deodorant to be thisclose to the person next to them. They sounded fabulous though (I sat right inside the doors of McFadden’s with a tall cold beverage and thoroughly enjoyed the tunes). I missed out on Gloriana and The Randy Rogers Band, but there are still a few more that I plan on checking out.

***************************

{My boots in action}

{The crowd packed in at The Band Perry}

No comments:

Post a Comment