Monday, August 1, 2011

Un Avant-goût de la France

***************************
This summer, since I am lucky enough to have a substantial amount of free time, I decided to provide patronage to restaurants I had never been to. I moved to Fairway not quite a year ago, and I love love love the Brookside, Crestwood and Prairie Village areas I am just adjacent to. My mom and I have tried to adhere to a standing Friday lunchdate in the summer months, but it seems we’ve only been able to venture out several times. However, one of my favorites lately has been Café Provence in The Village Shops and restaurants. I have been meaning to attend this fabulous little eatery for a while, and so when she suggested it, I was delighted to visit. And I was not disappointed.  Not only is the quaint café darling with white tableclothes and art you can purchase right off the walls, but the food was simply scrumptious. While most of the menu sounded incredibly appetizing, I settled on the Saumon Provencale. While I am definitely no connoisseur of the French cuisine by any means, I did travel to Paris last summer and hoped this salmon dish would take me back to the sidewalk cafés along the Champs de Elysee. And how it did! The salmon was the perfect lunch-size portion (although I probably could have eaten another piece) and seared perfectly, the asparagus was crunchy and a beautiful green, and the absolutely most fabulous part was the corn risotto underneath it all. I wanted to lick my plate clean.

After such an indulgent lunch, where else could we head but to Dolce across the street for desert? And since I couldn’t decide which sweet treat I wanted, I wrapped up three to go (a mini key-lime custard, a cream cheese brownie, and an apricot almond scone for breakfast the next day). I dug into the key-lime custard after lunch, and then several hours later decided that the brownie would make an appropriate dinner. The scone did surprisingly make it to breakfast the next morning. Dolce is quickly becoming my new favorite sweet spot for all things superbly saccharine. Si délicieux!

No comments:

Post a Comment