Thursday, May 22, 2014

A Morning at the Market



This summer, I have declared a lofty goal: I am dedicating my weekends in town to exploring more of what Kansas City has to offer. I’ve been a longtime reader of KC Spaces and always dog-ear the pages of new restaurants I want to try and events or spaces I’d like to see, yet somehow, making the time to go always seems to get away from me, or when posed with the question of, “where should we go?”, my list flies right out of my head. It seems to me that in the last decade, Kansas City has really started making more of a name for itself in terms of food, places and entertainment. Or maybe, since I am embarking on a new decade this Monday (gulp), I have finally started to grow up and realize that there’s more to a Saturday night than vodka sodas at the Falloon. Regardless, I’m making it my summer mission to get to know my city on a more personal level. I have my ever-growing list of eateries, concerts and events, and can’t wait to see what summatime has in store. Luckily, I found the perfect companion to accompany me throughout my quest—my friend Sarah. Sar always has her finger on the newest, hippest spot to hit up for crafted cocktails, for amazing atmosphere during dinner, or to find the perfect gift for a friend. The ironic thing is she’s not even from KC, but somehow, she always knows a fresh spot we need to check out.

While this first place on my list isn’t exactly a new feature around town, it was newish to me. Last weekend, Sarah and I ventured down to the Farmers’ Market in the Rivermarket. I had not been down in this area for quite some time, and we had such a lovely day. The fruit and veggie stands were gorgeous, the flower stands were bright and cheerful, and we topped off our morning with grilled cheeses for lunch on the patio at Harry’s. It was the epitome of a perfect Saturday, and I hope to frequent the market again very soon.



{This place! I never knew KC had a Chinatown Market and man oh man...it is sensory overload. There is literally a sign inside saying you can't take pics or video; I'm not sure why, but I wish I could have because we saw some of the weirdest food you wouldn't even know existed. There is also a fresh fish counter in the back, and every Oriental fruit, vegetable and weird protein you could want. Next time I'm in there, I'm taking some secret stealth pics for sure!}



No comments:

Post a Comment