Thursday, August 15, 2013

Feelings of Weirdness Today


{Sigh.}
So. It’s August 15. Just about every kid in the Kansas City area is heading back to school this week. The teachers have been prepping their rooms, going to Professional Development meetings, getting ready for another year.
 
It’s weird.
 
I’ve been trying to figure out how I feel about it. I met with some teacher pals earlier this week, and got the scoop on how their “back to school” is going. It didn’t make me sad. I just feel…weird.

 As an English teacher person, I know that “weird” is a terrible adjective to describe how I’m feeling. But I can’t quite put my finger on these emotions. I’m not sad; I’m not disappointed or dejected; I’m not even really longing to be back. I still feel like I made the best decision for me. It just doesn’t quite feel right to hit the middle of August and not be back at school. I mean, I’ve been back in a classroom every August for the past 24 years. (How crazy is that?)

Anyway, I wish all of my former colleagues a great first day back with kiddos today. It’s exciting, it’s a little nerve-wracking, and it’s a LOT of work. I know you guys will have a spectacular year!

On a side note, I received my last paycheck from the school district today. YIKES. The anxiety levels are creepin’ up, day by day… Also, did you know that I can spend twenty freaking dollars at CVS and only come out with a package of razors and a pack of gum? Daylight robbery, Gillette Venus razors. Daylight robbery.

No comments:

Post a Comment