Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Easy Reader

I finally had a chance to make it to the library. As an English teacher, it’s kind of a prerequisite that I actually must enjoy reading for pleasure, and hitting the public library has been on my summer to-do list. During the school year, I am usually swamped with the required “classics” (a.k.a. books loaded with symbolism and generally loathed by the high school population that is being forced to read them), plus then grading the novel packets and literary analysis papers that correspond with said “classics.” So in the summer, I take advantage of my free time and indulge by perusing the easy stuff—light, entertaining reads that I can usually breeze through in a day or two. Now, these types of reads are typically best enjoyed when I’m perched by the pool soaking up some rays, but lately it has just been too hot to even venture outside for extended periods of time. So, I decided to try out the local (and air-conditioned) library right down the road from my house.

While somewhat small, the Cedar Roe Library provided several new tomes for me to check out. I hit the YA section (trying to find some recommendations for the male population of my students who really aren't into reading), but the best discovery came while browsing through the adult fiction stacks. Schooled, by Anisha Lakhani, was a lighthearted and amusing read, especially for a high school teacher. Not only did it include several of elements that rank high on my list of entertainment-value (a New York City setting and lots of fashion descriptions), but it took the reader through the challenging world of an unsuspecting and ill-equipped teacher at a prestigious prep school on the Upper East Side. While I could relate to many of the demanding and stressful situations the teacher encountered, it was the witty writing and detailed scenes that made me fly through the pages (and made me miss the acclaimed series Gossip Girl even more). Definitely a new fav on my book list!



***************************

{I heart summer reads!}




No comments:

Post a Comment