Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Big News


{Ohh, Oprah. You're so wise.}

This week has been kind of crazy. We have cheerleading tryout clinics every night after school, and the actual tryout is Friday. Since the coaches teach the material to the cheerleader-hopefuls, I’m doing physical activity for the first time in, oh, I don’t know…I guess since I shoveled the driveway? Ugh. Maybe one of my New Year’s “Changes” should have been the cliché “I need to work out more.” Anyway, so I’ve been spending my afternoons and evenings with 50 high school girls. Super fun. Especially since…I’ve made a huge, life-changing decision.

 I have decided to pursue a career outside of education.

Yikes. Seeing it in black and white, I must say it’s definitely a bit daunting. But in all honesty, I feel very, very excited and hopeful about my future. I have been questioning my career for a long time—pretty much since I started teaching. Is this really what being a teacher is? Do I really want to do this for the rest of my life? Am I really a good teacher? And so, after much consideration, I made a decision.
 
To be honest, I think I feel less anxiety about leaving my job than I do about finding a new job. I think that’s a pretty good indicator that I made the right decision. It’s not that I’m unhappy all the time at work—I truly love where I am teaching and the people who I work with. And this year hasn’t been that bad at all. I really like my classes and (many of) my kiddos. It was a very hard letter to have to write to my principal. But, as a whole, I am ready for a change, and it was now or never. So, I chose now. And I’m pretty darn excited about it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm ridiculously happy for you! Time to share my favorite quote.

    "There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind."

    I can't remember who coined it, but it's a great one. Maybe CS Lewis?
    Eh.
    Good luck! Can't wait to hear where the big decision takes ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, Morgy! I know you will find exactly the right spot for you. Congrats for being proactive!

    Keep us posted!

    Love you--E

    ReplyDelete