Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Roll 'Em Down

{Open road}
***************************
Finally! The heatwave has broken (for now), and today is a beautiful day. It was stormy this morning but the rain cooled the air, and though the thermometer may read 82 degrees, it feels just about perfect out to me. (My version of a perfect day, weather-wise: 75 degrees and sunny. Unfortunately, these days of perfection are few and far between, as spring and fall seem to be shrinking seasons.) On my way home from school this afternoon (that’s right, it’s back to reality for me), I couldn’t help but roll down my window and open up the sunroof. This simple decision brought back cheerful memories of long drives and open roads. When I was in high school and first started driving, I adored the wind rushing in from open windows (typically paired with blaring tunes, as young folks are apt to favor). Come spring and summer, my teenage self preferred the fresh breeze to air conditioning any time, no matter how warm it was outside. But, as I grew older, rolling the windows down appealed to me less and less. I didn’t care for the tangles and little knots the unruly winds would weave and whip into my hair, and if I had put on any lipgloss, it was sure to end up streaked through my coif.  Plus, in the last few years, it seems that the Kansas weather is either stifling hot or glacially cold, with very few “perfect” days mixed in. But today, I had no other choice but to open up those airways on my way home and enjoy the breeze. Tomorrow, it may be back to sizzling temperatures, but for now, I plan on taking advantage of the ideal weather by taking a long walk through the neighborhood, maybe letting Rascal explore the backyard (he will be oh-so-excited), and definitely keeping the windows down, no matter where I go.
***************************
{Feelin' the breeze}

No comments:

Post a Comment