Friday, August 5, 2011

Fairy Lights

{Nell Hill's}
***************************
My mom and I visited Nell Hill’s in Atchison recently, and my oh my, did we have a fabulous time. I’ve heard nothing but glowing things about this décor boutique, and it did not disappoint. This delightful space is crammed full of little treasures, and most are at quite affordable prices, even for teachers decorating their homes on a budget. As I wandered from room to room, taking in all of the furniture and home décor pieces, I not only found several items I just had to have, but I also came away with some lovely ideas I could incorporate into my own space. One particular look that grabbed my attention was multiple antique mirrors used in place of a headboard in a bedroom. The mirrors were different sizes and appeared aged and a bit tarnished, which gave the room a charming feel. Since I currently have been debating what to do with my own makeshift “headboard” (a plain white mirror with hooks under it that I’ve had since my college years) in my bedroom, I definitely took a mental picture to remember for a later date. However, when we made our way back to the garden section, I had an epiphany in creating my own enchantment for my otherwise lacking boudoir: I could hang tiny glass votive holders from the hooks of the mirror, just above my pillows. Voila! Bedroom instantly updated. I think they look like little fairy lights, all above my bed. (And don’t worry…I’m saving the mirror idea for a different project.)

On a sidenote, I also picked up several colorful ceramic pieces to brighten up the kitchen, but had the most fun in the Halloween-themed rooms. I loved how they had found dark, morbidly charming decorations (rats and ravens, spiders and skulls) with a twist—glittery black skulls, bejeweled skeleton hands and feet, and brightly colored “witch’s potion” bottles were mixed in with typical non-scary décor. I scored probably the best Halloween decoration I’ve ever owned…but I’ll wait to debut this whimsical ghoul a little closer to when the Great Pumpkin arrives (that’s Halloween, for all you non-Charlie Brown fans).
***************************
{One of my favorite displays at Nell Hill's}

{My new and improved headboard}

No comments:

Post a Comment