Sunday, August 21, 2011

All A-twitter for the blue bird bistro

{The blue bird bistro}
***************************
As my days of leisure started to wind down (sigh), I decided to pack in as many lunch dates as I possibly could. (My typical lunchtime routine during school finds me hurriedly microwaving something and scarfing it down in my free 25 minutes, before the wild animals return from the lunchroom.) About a month ago, I had the privilege of meeting my dad downtown in a Westside neighborhood at the blue bird bistro (yes, that’s right—no capitals. Believe me, my editing instincts are fighting my fingers on this). I had read several articles on this little eatery and was quite impressed that it prepares only organic dishes with locally grown produce. When my dad suggested the blue bird for lunch, I was absolutely on board.

The place was darling both inside and out, with its bright blue and yellow door frame as you walk in, bronze-topped tables inside and local art on the walls. The atmosphere reflected the eclectic clientele who inhabit the downtown area, and the menu was definitely yummy. I instantly wished I hadn’t eaten breakfast earlier, because breakfast-for-lunch (or dinner) just may be one of the best things ever. However, I decided to forgo the Eggs Benedict (four different varieties to choose from!) and omelets, and instead opted for a classic midday dish: a salad. Now, the blue bird Salad was far from your run-of-the-mill greens. Fresh spinach, tangy Gorgonzola, roasted Missouri pecans and a sweet blueberry vinaigrette all added up to a whole plate of delicious. I added the fresh roasted salmon on top for a little protein. We prefaced our main meal with homemade hummus (so much better than any tub from the grocery store) and homemade pita bread, and washed it all down with refreshing mint iced tea. Our lunch was lovely, and I really enjoyed having the time to catch up with my old man.
***************************
{The bright doorframe}

{Back entrance--love the bluebird cutout}

No comments:

Post a Comment